Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fashion Editor Juli Alvarez talks to SURevolution about Slow Fashion and a Growing Appreciation for Everything Handmade


Juli Alvarez in Tao Comme des Garcons hat
Fashion Editor, Stylist, Writer



Marcella Echavarria (ME): Do you think sustainability is a passing trend? 

Juli Alvarez (JA): No, there's no turning back now. which is a very good thing.


ME: What are the main trends in accessories for 2011? 

JA: I think we're going to move away from a lot of the excesses that we've been indulging in for the past few seasons. I think we're moving towards a more minimal, clean esthetic...a bit of a cleansing of the palette. I think we will still see bold, beautiful design just in a more quiet, sophisticated way. Less can be more.


ME: What is your favorite SURevolution product? Why? 

JA: I love the jewelry of course. I like that the pieces are from all over the world and that they are made by hand, not mass-produced. Whenever I wear any of my SURevolution pieces, I always get loads of compliments. I also love shooting them, including them in my fashion stories. It makes 'the look' special.


ME: What other sustainable brands do you follow? 

JA: I really like HESSNATUR, EDUN, LEM LEM & KORRES for Beauty.


ME: What is your favorite sustainable material for accessories? 

JA: I think my favorite is tagua*....I love the texture, the shapes and the colors you can dye it. It matches my nutty personality.


ME:. What is the fashion industry missing? 

JA: I think a lot of small, independent companies understand the idea of being conscious and working on a sustainable level...at least they think about it and make an effort but I think the really large mass companies (and they know who they are) don't consider sustainability and the environment, human-rights issues, etc.... It's all about profit, profit, profit at the expense of so much. They make cheap products in a negative way and it should really change. It's time for the consumer to start understanding where these products come from (not just fashion) and the harm it causes, we are way to addicted to cheap products. One kind of inter-related example is the recent oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. What a disaster...one of which I don't think we'll even know the effects of for a while and people are still calling for more drilling. I mean, what is wrong with us??


ME: What is the future of fashion? 

JA: I wish I had the answer to that....but I can say what I would like to see.....and that is a bit of a slower pace, a broader appreciation for craftsmanship and a desire for special hand-made things that hold meaning for the consumer and the artisans that created it. Fashion doesn't have to be expensive to be fabulous, but it's nice to have a unique, hand crafted piece that feels unique.....And it would also be amazing if the USA started to produce more fashion here again. We need to find a way to bring that part of the fashion industry back to life.


SURevolution Tagua* rings

SURevolution animal print Tagua* rings
Tagua Animal Print color chart



*Tagua is a seed that grows from a palm in the Pacific of Colombia, Panama and Ecuador. Because of its texture it is also called vegetable ivory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytelephas 
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/Colombia-Dispatch-8-The-Tagua-Industry.html

No comments:

Post a Comment